Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. - St. Augustine

May 28 & 29; Days 1 & 2


We departed on our new adventure from Bloomington, IL at 11am on May 28. We arrived in Soltau, Germany around 12pm on May 29th. What we didn't realize was that the adventure was really beginning on the flights. We flew from Bloomington to Atlanta, Atlanta to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Hannover. In Atlanta we encountered an hour long delay on the tarmac. In Amsterdam we did some shopping in the airport and walking just to get the blood flowing again. In Hannover we were greeted by a wonderful welcome team and whisked away to our first meeting and presentation. But first, we lunch! And it was Delicious! Schnitzel and potatoes. I think Germany and I are going to get along famously. After our presentation we met our home stay families, went to our homes, and took a nap! That evening we spent getting to know our families. Debby and I have the same family for our first stay - Dr. Claudia Holzenbein and Dr. Hanno Lampe and their twin daughters Luisa and Lena (however, Luisa is currently in South Africa). That evening I was able to join Claudia at the gym for a exercise class being held for patients of Cardiac surgery or those with Cardiac issues. Here in Germany, and doctor must be present for such group exercise classes. That being said, for those of you at home: I have some new exercises for you!
Debby and I spent the evening chatting with Hanno and Claudia in the BEAUTIFUL garden the rest of the evening.



Things I learned these two days:
1) If you fill a water bottle that has a straw in it with water and then get on a plane, said water bottle will explode when you open it. Sara said, "That's a science a thing; I'll explain later." And she did. She now has to explain all science related phenomenons.
2) Our uniform Polo tops dry very, very quickly. Please refer to #1.
3) I am not sure how I feel about the Autobahn quite yet.
4) I am pretty sure I am going to love it here.

May 30; Day 3

Today was a day of tours: a waling tour of Soltau and then a trip in to Hamburg.
Soltau is not a very large town - population of around 20,000. We began by taking a walk thru Bohme Family park that had a wonderful fountain and stepping stones for kids (and yes, we stepped). We then strolled the market area of town then toured the Toy Museum. YES! A museum full of toys! Classic toys, such as doll houses, masks, and figurines. We ate lunch at the Soltau Therme which is a pool. A thermal pool that is heated by natural hot springs. This is also where I have my vocational day tomorrow.

From here, we were off to Hamburg! We took a double decker bus tour - which I have to say is not nearly enough time in Hamburg. There is so much history here, and very distinct districts - it felt similar to Chicago. As difficult as it was to get my barring, Hamburg, which is Germany's 2nd largest city with a population of 1.2 million people, did not seem like a vastly crowded, bustling city to me. Maybe it's because I was on a bus. We then paid a visit to St. Michaels church - the first church in Germany. BEAUTIFUL!! It was built in 1750, the steeple was rebuilt in 1906, and after WWII it had to be rebuilt entirely. We went to the top of the dome for the best views of the city before heading back to Soltau for a cook out with our home stay family.



Things I learned today:

1) Today was the beginning of what is referred to as "Sheep Cold". Back in the day, sheep were sheered and then a cold spell would hit for about 10 days - the thought being the cold would kill the weak sheep. Well, the 10 days have begun!! And I am not prepared.l

2) A Hamburger in Hamburg is not what you would think. It's really more like a very thick tenderloin. But it is still delicious.


-Lindsey
 

1 comment:

  1. It's 1.7 million :)

    and I am not going to correct the other things your travel guide seemed to have mixed up again :)))

    ReplyDelete